Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Finding my pace

I can appreciate that some people do not like to cook.
I do not like to garden.
I tried it.  When we got married and moved into our home, I immediately planted roses.  My mother grew beautiful roses.  Wives were supposed to grow beautiful roses.
So I cajoled my sweet man into digging up a rose bed and proceeded to spend way too much money for a newly married couple on rose plants.
I learned something about myself.
I do not like to garden.
When it is hot and humid outside(which is frequently here in TN), I prefer the swimming pool or at the very least the air conditioning. It is hard to tend your roses from either of those places.
I gave up gardening.
Sometimes I forget that I don't like it and I do something ridiculous.  Like plant something.
It never ends well.

But cooking...
There I find my pace.

I have felt like God's Word to me this year was to pursue love.

My problem is that in pursuing a Godly marriage, ministry, parenting, a clean house, folded laundry - I forget to pursue love.
Until I slow down and begin to mix the ingredients for a blueberry scone.  For no reason except that I have some blueberries going south quickly and I don't like wasting food.
So, with worship music cranked loud and kitchen warm from preheating oven, I bake.  And I slow down to pray for people - for soldiers who are recovering, friends who are waiting, people who are searching.  As the butter meets the flour and the songs fill my house, I slow down and do the act of love that is most beneficial - I lift my soul to the Only One who is my Help.
                 He on whom we have set our hope.  And He will yet deliver us... 2 Corinthians 1:10
And the beauty of frozen, grated butter meets with the lyrics of a song that played from my daddy's radio years ago


Why me Lord
What have I ever done to deserve even one

Of the pleasures I've known

Tell me Lord
What did I ever do that was worth love from you
Or the kindness you've shown



Lord help me Jesus I've wasted it so

Help me Jesus, you know what I am
Now that I know that I've needed you so
Help me Jesus my soul's in your hands



Try me Lord

If you think there's a way I can ever repay what I've taken from you



Maybe Lord

I can show someone else what I've learned myself
On my way back to you



Lord help me Jesus I've wasted it so

Help me Jesus, you know who I am
But now that I know that I've needed you so
Help me Jesus my soul's in your hands



Help me Jesus my soul's in your hands

David Crowder Band - Why Me?

And the tears pour down my face because that is me:  undeserving of His pleasures and His love. 
And I pray that as I meet this year of pursuing love that I could show someone else what I have learned myself.

I challenge you to find the thing that helps you slow your pace and turn your face toward heaven.  Have you found it?


No comments:

Post a Comment